Technical BuyerReference: BH-53696
Salary: £35,000- £40,000pa
Hours: Monday- Friday (37.5hrs)
Office based mainly
- Assist all areas of the business in the identification of both stock and non-stock items and provide technical advice regarding parts and materials.
- Procure goods in an environmentally conscious, ethical and economically sustainable way and work with stakeholders to remove unsustainable products from the HPUK supply chain.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with all relevant stakeholders (internal and external) in order to develop an awareness of changing business needs and safety implications of procurement activities/changes etc. This may involve, but not limited to, representing procurement at engineering planning meetings, safety meetings and operational business updates.
- Assist in the development and changes to the parts identification system, stores infrastructure and part delivery systems.
- Following an agreed category, commodity or supplier group, identify the most appropriate suppliers for any required product or service. Negotiate the optimum value for HPUK, ensuring that company procurement procedures are followed at all times during the process.
- Monitor the market place within agreed commodity groups to help identify products or services, in consultation with internal stakeholders and the inventory team (for stock) , where increased value may be obtained by re-engineering. Carry out procurement activities to support improvements. In such cases, ensure users sign off any changes to specification.
- Monitor supplier performance inclusive of completion of reports within the specified category group, carry out supplier audits as part of the supplier appraisal process and assist the Senior Buyer in data collection and collation, and working alongside the Inventory team, manage delivery performance against proposed lead-times, acceptable quality and costs. Take appropriate corrective action (where necessary) with suppliers when there has been failure to meet agreements or contracts for agreed delivery, quality and price.
- Negotiation with suppliers as required achieving the level of value for money required by the Company.
- Responsible for the procurement of PPE for authorised users. In addition to stocked items, procure and manage non-standard products and sizes. Liaise with the safety department over specialist PPE and seek feedback from the end users to promote continuous improvement of suitability and standards.
- Responsible for supplier selection and cost control of old unit repairs (OUR’s) liaising with the Inventory Controller accordingly to assist in this process.
- Process purchase requisitions through Maximo ensuring that all requisitions are compliant with the Purchasing Policy. Assist other internal departments with procedure requirements through obtaining quotes and providing guidance, For specific commodity groups, and where appropriate, develop technic specifications and assist with award criteria for procurement contracts.
- Assist with the strategic development of the procurement department e.g. supporting procurement efficiency, representing procurement objectives, etc.
- Undertake requests as directed by your line manager in relation to buying activities.
- Ensure compliance to all policies, procedures, standard operating procedures and safe working practices, with recommendations for action and continuous improvement.
- Effective communication; regular contact externally and internally with suppliers and customers requiring negotiation and consultation.
- Methodical with strong attention to detail
- Confident in presenting facts to all levels of management.
- Integrity and teamwork
- Analytical approach with an ability to negotiate confidently.
- Good interpersonal and influencing skills
- Ability to prioritise
- Ability to work in a team
- Problem solving within justification and innovation.
- 3 years’ experience in a buying capacity within a technical discipline.
- 3-GCSEs (grade A-C) must include Maths, English and Science
- Technical understanding of components.
- Capable of managing negotiations independently
- Experience of successful project management, from concept through to implementation
- Numerate and high attention to detail
- Use of MS Office including Excel
- Full UK driving Licence
- Purchasing Port related equipment or heavy industrial engineering type of equipment.
- Engineering experience and/or technical degree
- CIPS qualification preferred at a minimum level 4. However, training will be supported to the successful candidate within the role progression framework.